RARA-AVIS: Re: question about plot idea

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 14 Apr 2009

    Ideas schmideas.

    It's the writing that counts. Look how many times something like THE BIG SLEEP or THE MALTESE FALCON has been re-done by someone who thought it was all about the "idea."

    Beginner writers and non-writers always talk about their great ideas. Big deal. Anyone can have a great idea, but not everyone can make it worth reading. "Ideas" are highly over-rated. Without the writing, just another wandering daughter job is just another wandering daughter job. But when someone like Hammett does it, it's art.

    Oh, sure, I've come across a few relatively original plot ideas in hard-boiled novels, but in almost all those cases, it was the storytelling that drew me in deep enough to care about the idea. A great idea without the writing to back it up is like owning a great suit but no pants.

    Sure you look swell, but you can't go anywhere.

    Hey, I just had an idea!!!!

    Nope, sorry. It was just indigestion.

    Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com