RARA-AVIS: Re: Rogue Cop

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Apr 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, JIM DOHERTY <jimdohertyjr@...> wrote:

    > 1954, for some reason seems to have been the year of the crooked cop in movies. In addition to ROGUE COP and SHIELD FOR MURDER, there was PRIVATE HELL 36, directed by Don Siegel, and PUSHOVER, based partly on Thomas Walsh's THE NIGHT WATCH and partly on Bill S. Ballinger's RAFFERTY, which introduced Kim Novak. Corrupt cops were a common noir theme in the '50's (TOUCH OF EVIL, THE MAN WHO CHEATED HIMSELF, WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, etc.), but the trend seemed to reach its height in '54.

    WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS is terrific. I saw it on Turner not that long ago, a gorgeous-looking digital transfer. I assume they also made it available on DVD. You are right that it was a good year, and the decade was good generally for noir. It didn't end in the forties. I also saw Killer's Kiss again, a fine film, and again, beautifully restored.

    Best,

    mrt