RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harper (1966)

From: Harry Joseph Lerner (harry.joseph.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: 30 Mar 2009

    I enjoyed THE DROWNING POOL as much as its forerunner HARPER. Not a common assertion where sequels are concerned. As far as the books go, I'm a fan of them all. In additon to those already specifcally mentioned I would also recommend THE WAY SOME PEOPLE DIE and THE BARBAROUS COAST, as well as some of his stand alone work like TROUBLE FOLLOWS ME and BLUE CITY. I have to admit though his THE THREE ROADS was a bit overwrought at times.

    Happy reading!

    Harry
    ________________________________________ From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of JIM DOHERTY [jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com] Sent: March 30, 2009 5:21 AM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harper (1966)

    Gonzalo,

    Re your message below:

    "It seems to me the producers intended to launch a series of Harper movies and if that's the case I don't know why this never happened."

    There may not have been a series, but there WAS one sequel. The 1975 release, THE DROWNING POOL, based on the second Archer novel, had Newman repeating his role.

    JIM DOHERTY