RARA-AVIS: The Pinkertons of Yore

From: Eric Chambers (nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 28 Mar 2009

          "Jack Bludis"
          buildsnburns@yahoo.com wrote; Somebody correct me on this, because I'm not certain. (Jim? )

    Weren't' the Pinkertons of Yore *often* much like the U.S.
    "contractors" of Iraq. I don't want to say because the police were inadequate, but perhaps because there weren't enough of them?

    Now that I write that, I think someone else already said it--although not in the same words.

    And do they still do that sort of thing? But someone clarify if you would.

    Jack, I think that's probably pretty accurate. I just been reading through 'Triggernometry' by Eugene Cunningham' biographical material on the gunfighters of the west. He notes that Tom Horn was with the Pinkertons from 1890 to 1894.He also mentions that one Charlie Siringo, a Pinkerton, wrote a book in which he briefly mentioned Horn. Cunningham goes on to write, 'Apparently the life of the detective was too tame, (and perhaps too dirty?) to suit Horn. When he had real criminals to track down, or when, as in the Apache campaign, there were savage and dangerous criminals to trail, he liked it well enough. But sneaking and strike-breaking were Siringo's meat, not his.'
            Eric

          The new Internet Explorer 8 optimised for Yahoo!7: Faster, Safer, Easier.