RARA-AVIS: Overheard in a Mystery Bookstore...

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 26 Mar 2009

    Sorry for the rare cross-post, but I posted this to DetecToday, and I thought some of you here might be also interested.

    These two ladies were picking through the stacks, and one of them was pulling out books, one at a time, and then promptly putting them back.

    "Ugh! Another cozy! I want something less, uh, fluffyish."

    Her friend suggested Sue Grafton.

    "Oh, yeah, I love her and Sara Paretsky and Laura Lippman and all those, but I want to read a new female private eye, and all they have are cozies!"

    Could it be true? Are there really no new female eyes out there worth reading? It certainly seems like the female P.I. boom of the eighties and nineties(when some so-so male writers were complaining only women could get P.I. novels published) has become a trickle... but still. No new ones worth reading?

    Discuss among yourselves...

    Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com