RARA-AVIS: Re: The Pinkertons of Yore

From: Gerry Adams (gerry@adams-pi.com)
Date: 24 Mar 2009

    The original Pinkertons were more in line with being the predecessors of national investigative law enforcement. Often compared to a template fo the early FBI. So tied into government by contracts that acts of congress were needed to make a distinction. (the Pinkerton Acts)

    The Pinkerton acts wre, however mistakenly, used as a recent reason to attempt to eliminate government contracting in Iraq, and other foreign places. The Pinkerton acts essentially prohibit(ed) government from hiring contractors for security services during labor disputes. The Pinkertons were considered gummint-sanctioned strike-breakers.

    Gerry Adams A Pinkerton 1972-2002