RARA-AVIS: 50th anniversary

From: Frederick Zackel (fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 19 Mar 2009

    Note: the 50th anniversary of author Raymond Chandler's death is on March 26, 2009.

    From"Farewell My Lovely" by Raymond Chandler:

    "It was a warm night and the soft breeze wafting over the Hollywood hills didn't only bring the acrid smell of wild sage further inland, butblackmail, broads and blood too."

    On another note, Variety magazine has a book out: "The Movie That Changed My Life"

    Novelist Michael Connelly.Chinatown (1974). "It is steeped in the myth of Los Angeles and 'the fix.' Connelly "calls Chinatown his absolute favorite detective film," and goes on to say that his own novel, Echo Park, "gives a nod to Chinatown."

    So, to ask a question of everybody ... Which hard-boiled book and / or movie changed your life?

    Lastly:

    "Isn't intellectual life about having an argument?" ~ Mary Beard, professor of classics at Cambridge.