Re: RARA-AVIS: Disappearance of the Private-eye and detetive film

From: Joy Matkowski (jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 17 Mar 2009

    I don't know why they do it, Steve. If memory serves me right, they're all Republicans ("conservative" for those not knowing our labels). Actors have an easier time getting elected than you or I would because of name recognition. This effect happens with athletes, too, although one Democratic pro basketball player became a senator from New Jersey. We had a Pittsburgh Steeler professional athlete run for governor last time in Pennsylvania, but he wasn't elected. It seems to me that there ought to be lots of crime fiction with this phenomenon as plot or background, but I can't think of any. They might more naturally fall into the thriller subgenre. "The President's Oscar Is Being Held for Ransom! Will brave Agent Novak retrieve it before a nuclear dirty bomb disrupts the Academy Awards show?"

    Joy, currently reading Bangkok 8 on the elliptical

    Steve Novak wrote:
    > What¹s the story with actors going into politics in the US...when did this
    > start...why..?...what¹s the drive...?...yet, they don¹t make commercials for
    > Œnormal¹ products and yet they (all the big movie stars) make thousands of
    > commercials for products in other countries from Euro to Japan, from
    > Argentina to Russia...but there are not many actors from Œother countries¹
    > going into Œpolitics (if you call Œgovernor¹ politics...that is, as opoosed
    > to business...) in their own countries...????
    >

    > Any crime stories dealing with that whole...questions???....maybe a useless
    > search...? maybe re-reading John Le Carré would be enough????
    >
    > Montois....puzzled and becoming more depoliticized by the minute...

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)