RARA-AVIS: Re:In the Electric Mist -- Too Much Coffee, Man

From: Dick Lochte (dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 17 Mar 2009

    I sorta liked the movie. The thing that I thought would be the biggest problem, wasn't. Tommy Lee Jones didn't seem too old for the part. Too angry maybe. The film looked good. Actors were fine. Good music. Bad script, mainly because of the source material. It may be going against the opinions of many on the list, but I don't think Electric Mist is anywhere near the best of the series. The Hollywood on the bayou stuff throws everything off. In the movie, it just seemed stupid and contrived. The surreal ghost conversations really don't work on screen. And, most important for a movie adaptation, there's no Clete Purcell. Without Clete, Robicheaux has to work too hard and the mood is solid depression. What I want to see is Michael Rooker or William Forsythe come roaring in to lift Jones out of his funk and add some zest to the scene. Didn't happen.