Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: I've finally begun THE HOT ROCK...

From: J.C. Hocking (jchocking@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Mar 2009

    The director's cut of Payback is better than the original release, but not by any great margin.  Both are watchable and enjoyable more as surprisingly mean-spirited modern action films than any real attempt to bring Parker to the screen.  If you're looking for Stark transcribed to film it is a deep disappointment.  Gibson plays Parker as far too 'cool', and delivers a performance that's more 'angry action hero' than anything else.  But if you're up for a violent exploitation film and aren't concerned overmuch with how the film treats Parker, the movie won't bore you.
      John