RARA-AVIS: The First Line

From: Randy Krbechek (randyk@psnw.com)
Date: 15 Mar 2009

    I found this quarterly publication last summer on vacation in St. Louis. They give the first line, then writers put together a short story based on it. The results are often interesting. Maybe not crime stories or noir, but still, it's intriguing to see where writers will run with a prompt. (The spring 2009 edition is 64 pages.)

    Have some fun here: http://www.thefirstline.com/

    Our Mission The purpose of The First Line is to jump start the imagination-to help writers break through the block that is the blank page. Each issue contains short stories that stem from a common first line; it also provides a forum for discussing favorite first lines in literature. The First Line is an exercise in creativity for writers and a chance for readers to see how many different directions we can take when we start from the same place.

    Bye. Randy Krbechek Fresno, CA