RARA-AVIS: Re: HAND and KISS

From: Richard Moore (moorich@aol.com)
Date: 11 Mar 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Nevins" <nevins_mark@...> wrote:

    I am very fond of THE RED RIGHT HAND and have reread it several times (although not in the last 15 years or so). The opening is my favorite section. It flags a bit as it nears the end but just a bit. The novel jolts me very much like the best of early A.E. van Vogt. It's like grabbing a live electric wire and thrashing about the room. I may not be getting anywhere but I damn sure can't turn it loose.

    Thinking about the sensation a little more, I suppose I am a sucker for razzle-dazzle. I love Alfred Bester's THE DEMOLISHED MAN, a great SF/crime blend and have read both the novel and the serial more than once.

    In crime fiction, Rogers reminds me some of John Franklin Bardin's wonderful first three novels: THE DEADLY PERCHERON (1946), THE LAST OF PHILIP BANTER (1947) and DEVIL TAKE THE BLUE-TAIL FLY (1948). Penguin published all three in an omnibus paperback edition in the 1970s or 80s.

    Oh, one other favorite that slapped me in the same spot nearly as hard as THE RED RIGHT HAND was Stanley Ellin's MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL (1972).

    Richard Moore