RARA-AVIS: Re: The Horsemen

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 08 Mar 2009

    On Mar 8, 2009, at 5:15 AM, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:

    > So, I just watched an episode, and throughout, they mentioned ¨The
    > Horsemen¨
    > as in ¨I´m working with the Horsemen and thay want this guy real bad.¨
    >
    > The Horsemen = The RMCP = The Mounties?

    Yep, but I've only come across it in Canadian crime fiction. The first time was in Howard Engel's THE SUICIDE MURDERS, I think, back in the eighties.

    Maybe it's commonly used in the ROC (rest of Canada), but I'd certainly never come across it in Quebec. Then again, Quebec has its own police force, the Surete, so the Mounties don't have as large a presence there. Maybe it's more common out west or east, particularly in smaller towns, where often the only police presence is the RCMP.

    I think it's one of those expressions that seem to exist mostly in crime fiction and among crime fiction fans. I mean, when was the last time you heard "shamus" in real life?

    By the way, I always thought CEREMONIES OF THE HORSEMEN would make a nifty title for a book about someone going after some crooked Mounties. It's from a Dylan song, and the next line is "Even a pawn must bear a grudge." For some reason, it just sounds like a plot synopsis to me...

    Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com