RARA-AVIS: Re: How to write noir

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Mar 2009

    Tony,

    Re your response to my comment below:

    "Or it more likely shows that our opinions differ on the subject. I'm more inclined to go along with Jack Bludis' ideas on the subject, than with the idea that crime movies of the 40's-50's are films noir."

    You may be more inclined to go along with Jack's ideas, but the weight of historical origins, common usage, and common understanding are all against you.

    Which leaves you with the Lewis Carroll argument, "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean. No more, no less."

    And if you're going to dispute my opinions (which, since I have rendered them, are sacrosanct and incapable of error), at least get the opinion right. I've never said that any crime movie of the '40's-'50's is a film noir. If you'd like, I'd be happy to provide you with a list of non-noir crime movies from the era. I can think of at least a dozen right off the top of my head, and I'm sure I could put together a list that would go into triple digits if I researched it.

    JIM DOHERTY