Re: RARA-AVIS: MFA programs

From: Don Lee (donthepoet@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Mar 2009

    Well, that's honestly a relief. I felt at the time I'd signed onto a somewhat conservative program, but I was there already and the program did/does have a good rep. One would hope in a sane universe there would be numerous programs less stuck in the past and secure enough in themselves to be open to whatever. I did feel bad for my friend, who in my eyes was a SUCCESS having published at least 3 crime books in hardback for a real publisher, yet still caught crap for writing what he wrote.

    --- On Fri, 3/6/09, Joy Matkowski <jmatkowski1@comcast.net> wrote: From: Joy Matkowski <jmatkowski1@comcast.net> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: MFA programs To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 5:47 PM

                That wasn't my experience in novel-writing class. I wrote a rather

    conventional mystery, and others in the class wrote hard-boiled crime

    fiction, science fiction, and a romance, among the majority literary

    types, and the instructor stuck up for our crime fiction. Granted, this

    wasn't Ivy League or MFA, but our instructor was a PEN Faulkner Award

    winner, which is fancy stuff.

    Joy