RARA-AVIS: Re: Akashic Noirs

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 06 Mar 2009

    Brian wrote:

    > That aside, I think that it pretty much depends on the individual
    > editors
    > contracted to work on each of these individual collections: some (as
    > seems
    > to have been the case with TORONTO NOIR) actively sought
    > contributions from
    > writers outside of both the genre and the sub-genre.

    In fact, they boasted about it. They claimed few genre writers applied, anyway, but I don't think they even knew anyone writing in the genre. And a few Toronto noir writers I know told me their approaches were turned down. Given the wealth of crime writers in Toronto (and the rest of Canada), Canada's first excursion in Akashic's series was a let down, given what it could have been. Some good stories, but too many seemed overly self-conscious, as though they were written with one eye on some rented DVDs, all surface and no shadow.

    Montreal and Vancouver writers! The time is now!

    Kerry! Get going on Hamilton Noir! Think of it as ICED IV.

    And the latest StatsCan figures are out, and Canada's most crime- ridden city has been named! Saskatoon, start your engines.

    And round up the byes. Newfie Noir can't be far behind.

    Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com