RARA-AVIS: Re:How to write noir

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 04 Mar 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue" <jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:

    > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Mark Sullivan <DJ-Anonyme@> wrote:
    >

    > I'm with you. I don't think the audience bought the happy endings. How about Hitchcock's _Suspicion_. Cary Grant took care of it, no matter what the code dictated.

    The original ending had Grant plotting his wife's death afterall, but Hitchcock was forced to change that into the toothless suicide business.

    > And we were discussing this vey question of "happy" endings in relation to Charlie Huston's _Caught Stealing_, which I had mentioned as an example where the protagonist doesn't go down the tubes. And your rejoinder was very apposite: But look what happens next!

    I liked Caught Stealing a lot (and increasing less the other 2 in the series) but don't consider it noir, but instead pulp. Not every violent crime book is noir, no matter how much publishers might want to label it as such.