RE: RARA-AVIS: RE: Faith and cynicism hand-in-hand in noir and hard-bolied fiction

From: Harry Joseph Lerner (harry.joseph.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: 03 Mar 2009

    Although any of the 24 volumes in the series (the most recent having been released last year - THE FACES IN THE POOL) can stand on its own, i.e. you don't have to read them in order, you might as well start at the beginning with THE JUDAS PAIR. It was adapted as a episode in the TV series, but is quite a bit different in its original form. In my opinion it showcases, as well as any of the books, how a noir or noirish character can have absolute faith in something, in this case antiques, while still retaining a rather dim view of the rest of the world.

    I hope you enjoy these books as much as I do!

    Harry
    ________________________________________ From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Lee [donthepoet@yahoo.com] Sent: March 3, 2009 3:46 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: RARA-AVIS: RE: Faith and cynicism hand-in-hand in noir and hard-bolied fiction

    Y'know, I've never read Jonathan Gash either, though I ought -- I love the British tv show and it introduced me to Ian McShane, later hero of "Deadwood," one of the best tv shows ever. Just for the curious, which Gash book would be a good intro?

    Don