RE: RARA-AVIS: RE: Faith and cynicism hand-in-hand in noir and hard-bolied fiction

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 03 Mar 2009

    Harry, with the presumption that there is a definable difference between crime fiction and mystery fiction, my experience with this list is that classic noir and hardboiled writers (Cain, Brewer, Hammett, Woolrich, Goodis, Thompson, et al) tend to be the most discussed, followed by modern-day American writers of crime fiction (Pelecanos, Block, Westlake, Connelly, et al), followed by modern-day English writers of crime fiction
    (Guthrie, Bruen, et al), followed by both American writers of generic mystery fiction (Grafton, Parker, et al), follwed by English writers of generic mystery fiction. Others may disagree...that's simply my personal take on the list over the last decade (?) I've been a member. Frankly, it's a trend I enjoy and appreciate, and the reason I've stayed a member for so long.

    Since as you indicate, Gash is seen by many as "a rather more generic mystery" writer, the trend of the list is such that he is likely to get little play around here, deservedly or not -- as evidenced by your previous three attempts "to start a discussion about Jonathan Gash's work without any real success." I, for one, have never read him, and likely never will...that type of of material just doesn't float my boat. Regardless of whether others here share your affinity for Gash, however, it's nice that you've latched onto a writer and character that you enjoy so much and consistently speaks to you in a special manner. I have several such authors as well, and it's always a pleasure to enter their world.

    Ron C.