RARA-AVIS: Re: how to write noir

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Mar 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Don Lee <donthepoet@...> wrote:

    > Has anyone written a really good piece/book/etc. on how to write
    noir? I have been a how-to-write-X junkie my whole life and am trying to think of anything specifically like that. I guess Chandler's famous essay would count, "down these mean streets" etc., though I seem to remember that's more about the P.I. tale than noir per se.

    > Just curious for feedback.

    Patricia Highsmith wrote a short handbook, but I don't recall if it was general advice about writing or specific to noir.

    Best,

    mrt