RARA-AVIS: Re: Raoul Whitfield

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 02 Mar 2009

    On Mar 2, 2009, at 1:20 PM, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:

    > I haven't read THE RED RIGHT HAND yet, but Whitfield is most
    > definitely not one of Cornell Woolrich's pseudonyms. Whitfield did a
    > lot of air-war pulp fiction along with his BLACK MASK work, iirc.

    ...and wrote a couple of classic hard-boiled detective novels, GREEN ICE and my favourite, DEATH IN A BOWL, about private eye Ben Jardinn. Whitfield also created disgraced spy/ eye Donald Free, and, under the pen name of Ramon DeCorta, Island detective Jo Gar, who appeared in a ton of great stories in Black Mask. He was a drinking buddy of Hammett's, and lived possibly an even messier life.

    Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com