RE: RARA-AVIS: No Exit Press

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 02 Mar 2009

    As noted by others, much of the much older stuff is gone, but looking through their author's list, there's still some very good stuff worth recommending. Here are a few I've like (most through US editions, don't know how many are still in print here, though):

    Jakob Arjouni's Happy Birthday, Turk -- keep meaning to read others by him

    Marc Behm's Eye of the Beholder -- I cannot recommend this highly enough, a truly subversive private eye novel, set me up for later enjoying books by the likes of O'Connell and Sallis, below. I hear the movie stinks.

    Edward Bunker, particularly No Beast So Fierce (AKA Straight Time) -- it shows an upcoming book by him, Deathrow Breakout and Other Stories; anyone know anything about this? I'll definitely be picking that up.

    Max Decharne's Hardboiled Hollywood compares the books and movies of a number of hardboiled classics. Really insightful commentary.

    Anthony Frewin -- I have one of his books, but haven't read it.

    Joseph Hansen's David Brandstetter series is highly recommended.

    Kenji Jasper's Dark is a Street Lit noir that I enjoyed

    John Milne's Brit PI Jimmy Jenner series is quite good; it's also interesting for not really playing off the US PI model, as Timlin, for instance, does (not a putdown of Timlin, I've enjoyed the Nick Sharman books I've read and wish they'd issue the TV series, starrign Clive Owen as Sharman, on DVD in the States).

    Kem Nunn's Tapping the Source is an absolute classic of surfer noir; I've enjoyed everything I've read by him, though I'm a few behind.

    Jack O'Connell's Quinsigamond series is a favorite of mine -- you can see many raves from me (and others) on this series in the archives.

    James Sallis is among the best currently working.

    Wang Shuo -- read his Playing for Thrills some years ago and enjoyed it (a very Chinese noir that's a bit odd, but intriguing from my Western perspective). I didn't know anything else by him had been reprinted. I'll definitely be picking up the other.

    Jason Starr -- name seems familiar, don't know where from -- Hi Jason.

    Charles Willeford -- if you haven't read him, well, you're really missing something

    Daniel Woodrell -- these are two of his Remy Shade novels. I read the first a long, long time ago and liked it, need to read the others.

    Mark