RARA-AVIS: Re: "The Canon"?

From: Gonzalo Baeza (gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"
    <jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:

    > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Gonzalo Baeza" <gbaeza@> wrote:
    >

    > > I agree with Mark and, like him, I don't get the anti-academic slant
    > > of some posts on this list.
    >
    > Gonzalo, I don't think discussing how narrow and fossilized the canon
    > is can be equated with an anti-academic slant.

    I strayed a bit off topic and that must have generated some confusion. I agree that questioning the validity of the canon does not betray an anti-academic slant. What I was alluding to were previous assertions that so-called mainstream fiction is mostly derivative, plot-less and narcissistic (or something along those lines). The generalization strikes me as ironic coming from people (and I don't think you were one of them) who complain about a bias towards genre fiction.

    -Gonzalo.