RARA-AVIS: Re: "The Canon"?

From: Gonzalo Baeza (gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Nevins" <nevins_mark@...> wrote:

    > Mark Nevins
    > Who wonders if the occasional anti-academic tone on this List is
    symptomatic of something even deeper . . .

    I agree with Mark and, like him, I don't get the anti-academic slant of some posts on this list. Just as people complain that academics tend to make sweeping generalizations about genre fiction, the idea that all "literary" novels are boring, plot-less, and excessively introspective is equally simplistic and, if nothing else, betrays a lack of intellectual curiosity. Some of these "serious" writers might get good press from book critics (very few of them, actually) but I'm sure most of them feel just as marginalized as genre authors who don't see their book reviewed on the N.Y. Times, make as little or even less money than most genre writers, and look at the promotional budget for the next James Patterson book with the same envy as mid-list genre authors.

    I'm sure this has been pointed out before but it can't be said often enough.