RARA-AVIS: New Orleans and Montois

From: E.H. Borgers (ehborg@gmail.com)
Date: 24 Feb 2009

    (I still copy to mr T, as a matter of precaution)

    Montois,

    I’m a little bit late, but I would like to mention the following to feed your quest for fiction mixing New Orleans/Louisiana and HB/noir.

    First, an outstanding PI series by James Sallis (IIRC, it was not mentioned):

    Lew Griffin, his Black investigator from NO (six or seven novels). If you do not know the series do not hesitate (but start with theone: “The Long-Legged Fly” and it is better to follow the publication order). A first class cycle.

    Robert Skinner plotted a series for his Wesley Farrell, HB character, a Black evolving during the thirties in NO. Rather unusual.

    A stand alone belonging to the excellent Nat Heller series by Max Allan Collins:

    “Blood and Thunder”, dealing with Huey Long and his populist saga. A very good novel.

    Hope this will help.

    E.Borgers

    POLAR NOIR

    http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir