RARA-AVIS: Re: completely off subject (name your Poison)

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 25 Feb 2009

    Dave wrote:

    > this is the kind of news that raises the alcohol consumption among
    > writers:
    >
    > From Publisher's Marketplace:
    >
    > Comedian Kathy Griffin's memoir, to Pamela Cannon for Ballantine,
    > reportedly in a major deal, "for more than $2 million," (NY Observer;
    > deal not confirmed by RH), at auction, by Trena Keating at Endeavor.

    Not completely off topic.

    While I don't quite get the whole Griffin thing either, she is exceedingly popular, and assuming she writes her own material, at least this time they're giving it to someone who is a writer. And -- dare I say it -- looks upon the whole celebrity culture with as much cynicism and skepticism as most of us do. And she talks as a woman of her (certain) age and station does -- with a contempt for pettiness and a disgust for sham, facing it with rude wit and raucous laughter.

    Nope, if they're tossing bucks at celebrities, at least let's have them give it to someone who has something to say -- and is willing to laugh at herself, while biting the hand that feeds her.

    Anyhow, if just the thought of somebody else landing a cushy book deal drives you to drink, how many bottles did you kill when Gores and Atkins were paid to pick over Hammett's bones?

    And fellow imbiber Brian wrote:

    > Now I need a drink, and it's not even noon out here on the Left Coast.

    Well, you know what they say, Brian.

    "Every cowboy has some sad, sad song."

    Kevin Burton Smith Thrilling Detective Web Site
    "It's Been a Long Time Coming" Edition Now Online