Re: RARA-AVIS: My last point on that topic, plus Hammett and Westlake

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2009

    Kerry Wrote:

    "I think similarities between Red Harvest and Miller's Crossing have been mentioned here before. Do I have that right?"

    Nope. You're thinking of THE GLASS KEY, not RED HARVEST. RED HARVEST was inspiration for one of Kirasawa's films (the title escapes, but it might have been RAN), and by extension, of A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS. A more direct screen adaptation of RED HARVEST would be LAST MAN STANDING, starring Bruce Willis.

    The Coen Brothers took THE GLASS KEY and tweaked it pretty hard (the political boss becomes more of an outright gangster, the central character, one of his "fixers" becomes less important in the final mix, etc.), but leaving the existing relationships pretty much intact, as well as the time period and setting. It's worth watching, but really not a very faithful adaptation.

    For a better cinematic take on THE GLASS KEY, take a look at the 1942 Stuart Heisler film of the same name. It's truly one of the great hard-boiled films out there, with pitch-perfect casting. Brian Donlevy is worth the time alone in his terrific portrayal of political boss and all-around hard guy Paul Madvig, Veronica Lake's wooden acting is perfect for the distant WASP heiress she plays, and Alan Ladd, as "Ed" (in the novel he's "Ned") Beaumont was never better. Throw in William Bendix as a decidedly unlovable thug, and you've got cinematic gold.

    All the Best-

    Brian