RARA-AVIS: Re: New Orleans Series

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Feb 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Terry Sanford <mbtbone@...> wrote:

    > I believe that all of Robert Skinner's novels were set in New
    Orleans although the time was the 1940 - 50's. These are great hard boiled yarns, too.D. J. Donaldson's series featuring Chief Medical Examiner Andy Broussard and psychologist Kit Frankilyn were all set In New Orleans or nearby.Tony Dunbar's series featuring Attorney Tubby Dubonnet are in set in The Big Easy also.James Lee Burke's latest Dave Robichaux novel, Swan Peak, is set in Montana and I was unable to finish it. Way too much angst.Terry Sanford

    There is real angst in one story by Burke I read recently, not really a crime story, involving an aging professor who lives in Montana and whose life is disturbed by some thugs. This sounded autobiographical and the soul-baring was as effective as it was heart-wrenching. I've used up my hyphens for at least a year (I abhor the damn things, like Churchill did). I will digress on Churchill briefly to say that his chronicles of the Boer war are fantastic. And to add that many of his works are available to download as pdf files form books.google.com. This includes fairly rare works. Civic duty over.

    Best,

    mrt