Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard Boiled SF/Fantasy

From: rnmscott@netspace.net.au
Date: 21 Feb 2009

    Quoting funkmasterj@runbox.com:

    > Hey,
    >
    > I just finished going through a few hard boiled SF & Fantasy books for
    > something different.
    >

    > Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon - I can't say enough positives about this, a
    > gripping book.

    Well, the next two Kovacs books by Morgan and also Black Man

    For quite varying degrees of hardboiled

    Jon Courtenay Grimwood's Arab series.

    Alastair Reynolds The Prefect Neal Asher's Gridlinked

    Walter Jon Williams Hardwired

    Bruce Sterling's Mirrorshade anthology There's A Mammoth Book Of Future Cops anthology by Maxim Jakubowski

    C. L. Moore's Northwest Smith

    Kristine Kathryn Rusch's (Kris Nelscott) Retrieval Artist

    Christopher Hinz's Paratwa

    Some fantasy of a different variety to Green (who has a similar to the Nightside James Bondian fantasy series, and also the over the top SF Deathstalker series).

    Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt (a detective series)

    George R. R. Martin's Skin Trade

    Lucius Shepard - lots

    Hellboy The Shadow

    F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series

    Glen Cook's Garrett (a detective series)

    For varying degrees of hardboiled or other possibles along those lines

    If it can be not contemporary urban

    John Meaney's Bone Song and Dark Blood (a detective series) Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains Robert E. Howard's Conan and Kull and Steve Harrison Leigh Brackett's Eric John Stark etc. Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes In Amber K. J. Bishop's The Etched City

    ------------------------------------------------------------ This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au