RARA-AVIS: Hard Boiled SF/Fantasy

From: funkmasterj@runbox.com
Date: 21 Feb 2009

    Hey,

    I just finished going through a few hard boiled SF & Fantasy books for something different.

    Jonathan Lethem's Gun, With Occasional Music. I enjoyed it, very Chandlereque, but it made me wish that Lethem had written a straight Chandleresque story without the Sci Fi.

    William Gibson's Count Zero - 2nd in the Sprawl trilogy. Not as hard boiled as Neuromance, but very enjoyable.

    Simon Green's Something from the Nightside - I enjoyed until the ending, which was too easy in my opinion.

    Warren Hammond's KO - I enjoyed it, very hard boiled.

    Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon - I can't say enough positives about this, a gripping book.

    Any other recommendations?

    I also read:

    Larry Block's the Sins of the Fathers - enjoyed that.

    Reed Farrell Coleman's Walking the Perfect Square - I really enjoyed it even if I usually prefer the lone wolf type detectives

    Elmore Leonard's the Big Bounce - I had seen the recent movie, but read the book anyway. It was okay, but I preferred the movie.

    Jordan

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to: