RE: RARA-AVIS: Re:Jack Ritchie's short fiction

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 15 Feb 2009

    I find it interesting that two of Ritchie's collections were subtitled
    "Detective Comedies" and "Suspense Comedies"...and below David makes special note of his "funny" stories...but I never really viewed Ritchie's work in that context. Yes, they demonstrate a great deal of clever, macabre wit -- just as Henry Slesar's and Stanley Ellin's short stories do (to select a couple other writers from the same era and with the same relative tone), but I'd never label any of them as comedic writers, per se.

    Apparently, though, I'm in the minority. Maybe my sense of humor needs an adjustment.

    Ron C.

    definitely had his darker side, It