RE: RARA-AVIS: Re:Jack Ritchie's short fiction

From: David Wright (dwright333@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Feb 2009

    I'm a big fan of Ritchie, who is a masterful plotter and elegant writer with great timing and a very deft, understated wit. I regularly read his stories in the Thrilling Tales Adult Storytime I do at our library, having kicked off the whole series with The Green Heart, aka A New Leaf, which beings "We had been married for three months and I decided it was time to get rid of my wife."  It seems about half his stories are about husbands poisoning wives and wives poisoning husbands, and sometimes both. Although they're funny, he definitely had his darker side, as in "For All The Rude People," which is about a fellow going around killing the impolite (Lawrence Block did one of those too), or "Traveler's Check," a great little clockwork short-short about two women who meet on a plane and manage to figure out they're both married to the same man just before the bomb he's planted in their luggage goes off.
      David Wright http://shelftalk.spl.org                            "Que Scay-Je?"