RARA-AVIS: P.M. Hubbard

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Feb 2009

    The other day I unboxed a bunch of Detective Club triples. I picked up one that had a Thomas Dewey novel, and the same volume had Hubbard's novel _The Tower_. I had never read this author, and I found his style and the story very interesting. I looked up information about him and he is officially considered an author of Gothics. This particular novel has noir elements and makes me very curious about the rest of his novels. In case anybody is curious, the third novel in the volume was a Robert Fish novel about a smuggles -- a thriller... Fish has been a favorite of mine for such a long mine that my critical faculties are nullified -- I just read him. All three novels are from 1967.

    About Dewey: few authors are so timeless. I said recently that he was of no lesser stature than Ross Macdonald. I will risk wrath and say that he was better, that his stuff holds up better. Dewey is not following the Chandler blueprint. If anything, Mac has more in common with the Op than with Marlowe. Time for a Dewey revival?

    Best,

    pt