RARA-AVIS: Jack Ritchie's short fiction

From: chacharat2002 (decliningreturns@gmail.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2009

    re R Clinton's post: the book Little Boxes of Bewilderments is especially valuable because an extremely long list of Ritchie's work is included, with many obscure publication titles showing up. The book as I recall is very expensive in the second hand market--mine is ex-library I got several decades ago or I wouldn't have it either. The other book you mention I read through inter-library loan(as a Southern Illinois University Press book should be easy to get through I.L.L.) and it has the only set of stories(Turnbuckle character) I did not particularly care for from the pen of Ritchie. His 23 stories for digest Manhunt I guess well qualify him for this forum, although almost all his work I have seen is aptly described by the substitle to LBB, ie "suspense comedies".

    I am hopeful the editiors at EQMM and AHMM will reprint some of his really obscure stuff sometime in the near future(but I surely wouldn't hold my breath). I have I think all his mainstream digest story stuff except "Wearing of the Green" story in Mike Shayne MM Nov 1968. And yes, another major collection has been long called for. Ken McDaniel