RARA-AVIS: Jack Ritchie...

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 13 Feb 2009

    I'm a fan of Jack Ritchie's short stories, and was recently became aware that he has two other collections beyond the one I know about (and have), A NEW LEAF AND OTHER STORIES:

    "The Adventures of Henry Turnbuckle: Detective Comedies (1987) and Little Boxes of Bewilderment: Suspense Comedies (1989). Francis M. Nevins Jr., the editor of the two most recent collections, wrote fascinating introductions to these books that are an essential read for anyone who wishes to find out about Jack Ritchie's life."

    Does anyone have one or both of these collections, and have any comments on them? I'm not particularly a fan of comedic mysteries, but do enjoy what I've read of Ritchie's work a great deal.

    As an aside, I'm surprised someone as prolific and apparently respected as Ritchie hasn't been collected in some other recent form by Crippen & Landru, etc., Five Star, etc.. It's a shame to see the work of someone of his considerable talent and output gradually fading away into obscurity...though I suppose he's only one of many of generation of writers suffering this fate. A real shame.

    Ron C.