RARA-AVIS: Re: Crider's review of *Spade and Archer*

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Bludis" <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

    > I probably would have read *Spade and Archer* even with the lukewarm
    > review in the NYTimes, but after reading Bill's review, it is now a
    > must get and must read immediately.

    Lukewarm? That review was a hatchet job. I wonder if the author is hatchet-faced? It reminded me of the incredible review of Chandler that Joyce Carol Oates published years ago in the NYRB. If you review stuff you have no affinity for, or worse, stuff that you have no respect for, you run the risk of missing the point entirely. It would be like me reviewing romances. I don't get it and I am not fond of it, so why would I review such literature? What could I contribute?

    Best,

    pt