Re: RARA-AVIS: Spade & Archer

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2009

    OK, now I have to read it. I was on the fence before, but if Bil lCrider liked it, I know it's at least worth a look.

    I'd set more store by Bill's review (aside from the fact that it's from Bill) than that of, say, the writer I never heard of who ripped it in the NYT because Bill explains the reason for the "three parts," a three-novella format cobbled together in much the way that RED HARVEST and "The Big Knockover"/"$106,000 Blood Money" were.

    It's apparent from the text of the NYT review that the writer had no familiarity with that aspect of Hammett's canon.

    As an avid aficionado of Hammett's work, that speaks volumes to me.

    All the Best-

    Brian