RARA-AVIS: Re: Review of Joe Gores', *Spade and Archer"

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "davezeltserman" <davezelt@...> wrote:

    > I had no problem with that either, however as much as I liked the
    > these series written by the original authors I could never get into
    > the Robert Goldsborough Wolfe books, or the Lin Carter/L. Sprague Camp
    > Conan books, John Gardner James Bond books, Robert Parker's Poodle
    > Springs. Outside of Max Collins finishing up Dead Street, I can't
    > think of any series that was taken over by a different author that I
    > cared for.
    >
    > Btw. if I could've taken over the Nero Wolfe series, I would have had
    > the books narrated by Wolfe--a losing battle trying to compete with
    > Stout's voice and have Archie keep narrating them.

    I'm sure that Gores, quite a veteran in the business, was aware of the risks... Block completed a Woolrich novel, the Block-written part is way better than Woolrich ever was... but he got soundly panned. Did I just write Block-written part? Help, I have been taken over by a Teutonic ancestor!!

    Best,

    mrt