RARA-AVIS: Re: Definition of Thriller

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 06 Feb 2009

    Jim,

    I never raised a question, I was simply stating my thoughts on how NY publishers would label these books if they were being published today
    (of course, it's quite possible none of them would be able to be published today, at least not by NY, but that's a different issue). Personally I think of them as simply crime novels. I do find your recent battling once more at windmills with your one man definition of thrillers interesting--so you're going to completely ignore ITW's definition which does recognize horror, supernatural and other thrillers where no mystery is involved???

    --Dave

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, JIM DOHERTY <jimdohertyjr@...> wrote:

    > Dave,
    >
    > Re your question below:
    >
    > "So would Red Harvest, The Big Sleep, Postman Always Rings Twice, etc.
    > maybe even The Dain Curse."
    >
    > RED HARVEST. Yes.
    >
    > THE DAIN CURSE. Yes.
    >
    > THE BIG SLEEP. Maybe.
    >
    > THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. I'd say no, but I won't argue if
    you feel it qualifies. It's kind of like whether James Bond is hard-boiled or not. You can agree on the definition, but not on whether a particular example fits.