RARA-AVIS: Rare Books: Lazarus #7

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 04 Feb 2009

    I knew very little--three things, in fact--about Richard Sales' Lazarus #7 before reading it. I knew it involved Hollywood and leprosy and was admired by Raymond Chandler. It was enough to be intriguing. Though how leprosy could be tied plausibly into a story about Hollywood murder was a mystery in and of itself.

    The story begins with a doctor who is forced by the advent of the Second World War to give up his study of tropical diseases in the far east and head home to the States. He stops off to visit a friend of his, who's a writer for Hollywood studio, on his way back to the east coast and quickly becomes embroiled in a series of murders, which he is determined to solve.

    All in all it was a pretty good read--worth tracking down.

    Jeff