Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Definition of Thriller

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 04 Feb 2009

    As far as I'm aware, 'upmarket' started out as a term to describe certain women's fiction, and then expanded to encompass everything from Patricia Cornwall to Ian McEwan. To complicate matters, it's also widely used as a synonym for what was briefly labelled "commercial literary" fiction. Seems that literary fiction is considered such a hard sell these days that even prefixing it with 'commercial' doesn't help, hence the appropriation of
    'upmarket' as the epithet of choice. My guess is that a 'literary thriller' would more likely be pitched as an 'upmarket thriller' at the moment. Depends who's doing the pitching, of course, and who they're pitching to.

    Al