RARA-AVIS: Re: Definition of Thriller

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Feb 2009

    From reading the various definitions, it looks to me that you could speed up practically any story of a "quest" or "someone in peril" or
    "find the guy/gal", "stop the extraterrestrials", etc. and make it fit the definition of "thriller". I wonder how useful such a broad definition is. I suspect that the idea that something is a fast read is implicit in the term. If true, this would be a promise that it won't be boring, thus a commercial and not a literary term.

    Best,

    mrt