Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Jim D's definition of Thriller

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 03 Feb 2009

    Mark:

    I'd suggest that mysteries and thrillers are two different things, whatever genre they are written in. Expanding from your Hitchcock contribution, dramatic tension in a mystery is created by witholding the who in a crime, and/or sometimes the how. Dramatic tension in a thriller comes from creating anticipation by revealing the who and how but witholding the outcome of the crime; will it be accomplished or thwarted?

    Both of these techniques can and are used in a variety of settings, though there's a tendency to equate mysteries almost exclusively with crime fiction even when the who and how are revealed quite early on. Sometimes crime fiction is serially one then the other, the who and how not revealed until late in the book, the remainder devoted to whether the criminal will be caught and the crime thwarted. But I don't think any fiction can be both thriller and mystery simultaneously.

    So I'm suggesting that while Strangers on a Train is crime fiction and a thriller, it is not a mystery. That would be true too, of most serial-killer narratives. Not that most literary historians, critics, publicists or water-cooler experts have ever had any interest in the distinction. So maybe I'm wrong. (OK Jim--not being you I am quite assuredly wrong).

    Best, Kerry