RARA-AVIS: Re: Jim D's definition of Thriller

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Feb 2009

    Jack,

    Re your comment below:

    "I say it's too many words, although fairly accurate. Jim, cut it back some for us--couldn't you have said detection instead of cerebration? That was definitely one word too many."

    "Cerebration" was a carefully and deliberately chosen word. If I'd meant "detection," I would have said "detection."

    In fact, detection is an element of many, arguably most, thrillers. To give just one example, the hero of Forsyth's THE DAY OF THE JACKAL, Surete Commisaire Claude Lebel, is chose to lead the pursuit of the titular hitman, precisely because tracking down the Jackal is, in the words of one character, "a job of pure detective work," and Lebel is "the best detective in France."

    Unless you're going to argue that THE DAY OF THE JACKAL is NOT a thriller.

    "Why not just ... The thriller is the story of a crime or impending crime where the emphasis is on the prevention of a disaster rather than detection?"

    Because that's not the correct definition.

    JIM DOHERTY