Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Daniel Woodrell on "Noir"

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 02 Feb 2009

    The protagonists of thrillers are frequently 'good' guys, or 'sympathetic' or indeed 'heroic'. Leonard writes crime novels, where the focus is on the crime/ criminals, who don't necessarily display those attributes, and the only thing they're trying to prevent is their own capture or demise. You could argue that the latter is a crime, and indeed if the prevention of the protagonist's death was the focus of the novel, it may well be a thriller.

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "jacquesdebierue" <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com>