Re: RARA-AVIS: Woodrell's list

From: Michael S. Chong (menglish47@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2009

    Kromer is Tom Kromer and the only reason I know of the name is that he was one of the authors cited by Charles Willeford's “New Forms of Ugly”.

    Woody Haut writes of Kromer and other authors Willeford has written about here: http://woodyhaut.blogspot.com/2007/11/charles-willefords-library-though.html

    Kromer is known for his Waiting for Nothing, a Depression-era hobo tale.

    One of my favourites of  Woodrell's is The Ones You Do, sort of the third in his Rene Shade series, focusing on Rene's father, John X, who is macho but far from boring.

    Michael

    --- On Sun, 2/1/09, Juri Nummelin <juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi> wrote: From: Juri Nummelin <juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Woodrell's list To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 7:56 AM

                Woodrell mentions these writers as noir writers:

    Thompson, Cain, Edward Anderson, Charles Williams, Kromer, James Ross,

    LeSieur, Goodis and the rest

    Who are "Kromer" and "LeSieur"? Never heard of them, and since I've been on

    this list for almost a decade now (with a year or two absent, though), I

    should think I've heard every important noir writer at least once.

    Juri

    PS. I once tried a Woodrell and couldn't get far. The plot was lacking and

    the characters were boring machos.

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to: