Re: RARA-AVIS: Daniel Woodrell on "Noir"

From: Nathan Cain (IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2009

    Wasn't Greek tragedy primarily about kings and other nobles? Oedipus. Antigone. Electra. None of them are lower class figures. That's why I'm puzzled by Woodrell's assertion that "noir" is some sort of underclass thing. Also, I'm not really aware of that many noir novels written by actual members of the underclass. James Cain: New York newspaperman. Goodis: College educated ad man. Cornell Woolrich: Attended Columbia, didn't graduate. Died and left the university
    $850,000. So, he may have lived in a seedy Harlem hotel for most of his adult life, but obviously that was by choice.

    Let's wonder off the reservation a little. William S. Burroughs: Attended Harvard. His grandfather invented the adding machine, and he was also related to Ivy Lee, Hitler's PR man in the States. So the world's most famous drug addict is from the Ivy League. Gutterbound by choice, if you will.

    Woodrell doesn't seem to realize that actual members of the underclass don't spend a lot of time writing books because they're too busy trying to survive. Unless he can name some actual "gutterbound proseteers" I'm going to call shenanigans on this.