RARA-AVIS: Re: Daniel Woodrell on "Noir"

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jan 2009

    Given how Woodrell sees things (noir is naturalism about "the lower depths" with a combination of toughness and melodrama), I think he would have to name Hugo, Balzac and Zola among his heroes. And a few Russian writers, too... I don't see the downtrodden and the lower classes as the sole or even the main protagonists of noir. What Woodrell says applies to many important works, but does not define the genre, in my opinion. I like blondes.

    Best,

    mrt