RARA-AVIS: Native Son influenced by Woolrich?

From: Michael S. Chong (menglish47@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2009

    I found the following browsing through the Mysteryfile website:

    Native Son’s basic storyline of a young man wrongly accused of murder and running headlong through “streets dark with something more than night” was clearly inspired by Woolrich’s powerful suspense thriller “Dusk to Dawn” (Black Mask, December 1937; collected in Nightwebs, 1971). - Francis M. Nevins http://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=560

    I have always thought Native Son read like a noir.  Francis M. Nevins, a Woolrich biographer, says that Wright was a Black Mask reader.  So along with Chester Himes, that makes two great protest writers sparked by crime fiction.

    Michael

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to: