Re: RARA-AVIS: For anyone living in Seattle...

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Gonzalo Baeza" <gbaeza@...> wrote:

    > I envy you. I love watching foreign crime films and what little I've
    > seen of the French school has really impressed me. I recently bought
    > a book on crime films during the Franco years and some of them seem
    > really interesting. I also saw a Chilean movie called Tony Manero,
    > which the LA Times recently mentioned as a possible Oscar contender.
    > It wasn't nominated in the ned, but it is still pretty good.

    Indeed, something that pains me is that in the past couple of decades, the US public has become less and less knowledgeable about French cinema, at least in my experience. Also there is a retreat in knowledge of the French language, but that is another story. Distribution has something to do with the French film problem and with the foreign film problem in general.

    Best,

    mrt